Mission to Mexico (M2M) is an active outreach of St. Albert Evangelical Lutheran Church that began in 2003 when 43 participants traveled to Mexico for two weeks. Since then, congregational members have participated in another 9 mission trips to the northern Baja California region of Mexico.
M2M is about sharing the love of Christ. In the words of St. Francis of Assisi – “preach the Gospel… if necessary, use words”. We do use words -whether through VBS, preaching or sharing testimonials with local congregations or teaching their church elders – but we strive to do much more through our actions.
Some activities we’ve been involved with over the years include:
- providing food, clothing and quilts to impoverished working class Mexicans;
- providing outreach through short-term or multi-day children’s programs
- building things
- better homes for working class families
- a church extension and a new church sanctuary;
- basic improvements to different orphanages
- School Sponsorship for 100’s of children
- Ongoing support for our Mission partners in Mexico
But, the impact of our efforts is not limited to how we help the people we work with in Mexico. In fact, I would say the influence of M2M is also about the impact it has on participants and supporters. It’s not about what we do – it’s about why we do it, what we learn from it and what impacts those lessons have on our local communities.
- That we lead incredibly privileged lives;
- That we can and should commit our time and resources to helping those less fortunate;
- We learn to work with others – here and in Mexico; and
- In so doing, we learn that our service to Christ can and should be active.
Since 2003, SAELC members have been directly involved in 9 short-term mission trips to Mexico. We’ve worked with numerous other congregations from Alberta. Over 200 people have participated in one or more of these trips and countless others have supported us through prayer and fundraising or other behind the scenes work.
Below you’ll find pictures from our 2016 mission trip from our great experiences building and dedicating a home, fun with the Gabriel House kids at the beach and VBS at the Rhema church. Yes, it was a rewarding in Christ as it was fun!
Our next possible trip is slated for early July 2019 (exact dates to be determined) and our planning should we be going will begin September 16 after the service. If you’re interested in participating please let us know. The overall costs are approximately $2200.00 give or take as there are a few wild cards pertaining to costs such as flights (where you’re coming from and when you book), cost of dollar in relation to peso, etc. Some fundraising is done as part of the involvement. Details regarding fundraising, deposits and more will be forthcoming as decision is made after inquiries come in.